From the humble beginnings as Fly Field in 1928, the Yuma Army Air Base was erected in 1943. Deactivated at the end of WWII, the Air Force took over in 1951 calling it first the Yuma Air Base, and later renaming it as Vincent Air Force Base in 1956. The Navy took over the base in 1959 as the Marine Corps Auxiliary Air Station, changing to a full fledged Marine Corps Air Station in 1962. Today MCAS Yuma is home to many Marines and their families. Sharing runways with the Yuma County International Airport, MCAS Yuma is the location of the Annual Yuma Air Show.